Tuesday, May 26, 2009

News at Eleven: [Ruth Padel] wished the next professor

"the very best", and said that she hoped the person to take the role would be a woman. Padel was the first woman to hold the 300-year-old post but was only in position for nine days before what she described as "divided opinion" in the university forced her to resign.

Padel also took the opportunity to apologise to [Derek] Walcott "for anything I have done which can be misconstrued as being against him". "He's my senior colleague and I revere his work. When I first heard he'd pulled out I felt scooped out inside."

from The Guardian: Padel admits 'silly' error in Oxford poetry election
also The London Evening Standard: Revealed: Ruth Padel's email that smeared her Nobel rival
also BBC News: Oxford poet 'sorry' over vote row
also Times Online: Derek Walcott: I won't run for Oxford poetry post again
also George Szirtes: Totleigh 1: a shout for Mehrotra
also The Guardian: Professor of poetry, part three?

~~~~~~~~~~~

5 comments :

Judith Fitzgerald said...

Hi, Rus:

Thought you ought to know I love this comprehensive list of links you've compiled. Well done! I left a pair of replies in the comments at Books, Inq. for you, FYI (and, I really do hope all's ticketty-boo with you).

Undeniably yours, Jf/ox (and Adam, too :))

Judith Fitzgerald said...

OMGasp! Where are my manners? I am so proud of you for making the list of the Top 100 Poetry Blogs, Rus; that's truly wonderful and deserving. You work so hard for our mistress; it's abso-fabso great (and especially great on you). IMO? Long-overdue . . .

Aroooooooo!!!!!!!!

Erm . . . Kudos :) . . .

Rus Bowden said...

Hi Judith,

Can you imagine that I forgot to mention that this blog made the Top 100? I hope there's a special place in poetry heaven for zombie bloggers like me. But I have an excuse. I was notified on the 22nd, when I was getting ready to be my father's best man on the 23rd. You have me just looking into the e-mail from Suzane Smith now.

Yours,
Rus

Judith Fitzgerald said...

If it were anyone else, Rus? I'd say, No way! But, I know you a little (and, I know you're not only extraordinarly truthful but also, and more to the point, truthfully extraordinary).

Now, I am glad I mentioned it. I saw Poetry Hut there, too. S.S. possesses impeccable taste (or, IOW, she know da zombies when dey turn up missin' :)). Aww . . .

Who could resist, especially after our cosmic woo-woo discussion of zombies and then, Kazaam! They ate my canteloupe-de-fruit loops . . . Don't glare, Hon, it'll give me wrinkles (and, although I do own an iron, I've never pressed zombie before).

Whaa? If you understood this, then I more than believes ya!

No. 44 adds up to eight; my lucky number! Yay you!

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Congrats on your well deserved recognition as a great site for poetry information.

Don @ Lilliput Review