Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Great Regulars: 'To stay for some months in Hrishikesha

on the banks of Ganga and do anushtana (accepting vows) is a great austerity, which will take the aspirant to the abode of Lord Hari.'

This is how the cataract of the sacred River Ganga comes down at Hrishikesh

How does the River Ganga
Come down at Hrishikesh?
A little boy asked me
And, moreover he asked me
To tell him in rhyme.

from V Sundaram: News Today: Baritone: The cataract of river Ganga at Hrishikesh

Explanatory Note from V Sundaram:

My poem on how Ganga comes down at Hrishikesh has been totally inspired by the great poem of Robert Southey (1774-1843) titled "The Cataract of Lodore" which was published in 1830 and became immediately popular in England. He was an English Poet of the Romantic School called "The Lake Poets". Robert Southey was an English Poet of the Romantic School and was Poet Laureate of England for 30 years from 1813 till his death in 1843. I was so swayed by the music, rhythm and rhyme of Robert Southey's words in his great poem "The Cataract of Lodore" that I could not resist using his words completely and transposing them to the River Ganga at Hrishikesh. Robert Southey put me in a state of Divine Reverie about the Fall of Ganga in Hrishikesh. No wonder I have just reacted as his alter ego.

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :