Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Poetic Obituaries: An internationally-acclaimed Sanskrit scholar,

Prof. [Mukunda Madhava] Sharma made wide-ranging contributions to Sanskrit literature, especially in the realms of poetry and poetics, history and epigraphy. A prolific writer and an accomplished critic, he authored 43 books besides over 260 research papers and articles in Sanskrit, English, Assamese, Bengali and Hindi. During his two-year stay in Indonesia from 1983 to 1985 as Visiting Professor in Udayana University, Bali, he mastered Bahasa and wrote a book in that language.

from The Assam Tribune: Mukunda Madhava Sharma passes away

~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment :

Sudeshna B Baruah said...

My first meeting with Mukund Jethpeha (as I used to call him) was in June/July 1993, when he made a stopover in my hometown Moranhat. I was thrilled to learn from my papa that my good name Sudeshna was courtesy jethpeha. Did not have the chance to meet him very often; but papa often reminisced about the days when jethpeha made him (papa) his postman! Ahem... to get his love letters delivered to Buli jethai (my paternal aunt). Truth to tell, Buli jethai was tutored by jethpeha --- the reason why Buli jethai could never do away with her addressing jethpeha as "Sir", post-marriage. Oh, how can I forget jethpeha's fondness for tea made by my ma and his calling her an avatar of Goddess Laxmi. On other occasions, he would wax eloquent about my Moranhat home, calling it "an abode straight from a children's drawing book". And this homage, Mukund jethpeha, is straight from my heart. RIP...