Tuesday, February 02, 2010

News at Eleven: But in a perfect world, if [Ruth] Padel

so disapproved of Walcott's track record shouldn't she have made a public statement about it and even withdrawn from the race? "Oh, I wish you had been advising me, then I would have done that," she says. (She says that friends did say to her, 'What on earth were you thinking of?') But honestly, this won't do. Can you not see, yourself, that what you did was sneaky and underhand? "Yes, and I can't say it loud enough. I feel very, very bad about those e-mails and I deeply, deeply regret it and it was wrong of me, and actually it's not really very representative of how I go about things." That is the closest the poet has come to an apology.

from Times Online: Ruth Padel on Derek Walcott, 'dirty tricks', and the worst mistake of her life

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :