Tuesday, February 02, 2010

News at Eleven: But it isn't banal.

Even a very early lyric, like "How sweet I roam'd from field to field", supposedly written before Blake's 14th year, and which at first sight appears to echo the most threadbare poeticisms of the time ("And Phoebus fir'd my vocal rage" means little more than "The sunshine made me want to sing")--even this apparently most insipid and conventional verse has a moral darkness and complexity of thought that we recognise as truly Blakeian, however young he was when he wrote it:

He loves to sit and hear me sing,
Then, laughing, sports and plays with me;
Then stretches out my golden wing,
And mocks my loss of liberty.

from The Guardian: An introduction to the poetry of William Blake
also The Guardian: An introduction to the poetry of Samuel Taylor Coleridge
also The Guardian: An introduction to the poetry of Percy Bysshe Shelley
also The Guardian: Introduction The Romantic poets

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :