Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Great Regulars: In particular, the two poems both titled

"The Chimney Sweeper" offer eloquent examples of Blake's unsettling art. (One "Chimney Sweeper" poem comes from the Songs of Innocence; the other, from the Songs of Experience.) I can think to myself that the poem in Songs of Innocence is more powerful than the one in Songs of Experience, because the Innocence characters--both the "I" who speaks and "little Tom Dacre"--provide, in their heartbreaking extremes of acceptance, the more devastating indictment of social and economic arrangements that sell and buy children, sending them to do crippling, fatal labor.

from Robert Pinsky: Slate: A Perfect Discomfit

~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel the same way as lovers of opera or rock music or hip-hop: If I'm having a good time, I don't need to understand every word. If it sounds good, and has emotional conviction, I don't worry about being able to write a term paper about it.

from Robert Pinsky: The Boston Globe: A penchant for poems with a beat you can dance to

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :