Tuesday, February 17, 2009

News at Eleven: My late husband, the actor David (Coleman) Dukes,

once played a killer-with-an-icepick (opposite Frank Sinatra, as the hardened detective on his trail) in the film First Deadly Sin. In a few of the essays, I tried to provide a sense of what it was like to live, as a poet, in a town whose central industry was the creation of illusion--where people confused the two regularly. (Arriving late to a dinner party one evening--entering a room in which guests were already seated--a woman rises up, dropping her napkin, pointing at my husband: "You're the one who raped Edith Bunker!" I glance at him and he answers her calmly, "No" he says, "I tried to, but she hit me in the face with a cake from the oven.")

from The Huffington Post: A Poet in Hollywood

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :