Tuesday, February 02, 2010

News at Eleven: I had already settled into a comfortable attitude

of resignation. The category award I knew I had won, for poetry, was sufficiently generous in itself, and, while too scared to read the books of my competitors, I had heard enough about them to be sure that any one of them stood a better chance than mine. Going up to fetch my £5,000 cheque in its red envelope seemed a perfectly respectable climax.

When, after further ceremonial ado, Josephine Hart, chair of the judging panel, eventually revealed the winner of the big one, the Costa Book of the Year, and it appeared to have the same title as mine, events took a startlingly different turn.

from The Times: Christopher Reid on winning the Costa Award
also The Sunday Times: A good poem is better for you than pills or therapy

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :