Tuesday, October 19, 2010

News at Eleven: Chile is a land of poets,

having produced such greats as Nobel-Prize winners Gabriela Mistral and Pablo Neruda as well as world-class practitioners like Vicente Huidobro, Nicanor Parra, Gonzalo Rojas and many, many more.

So it must have come as no surprise to Chileans, I imagine, and was undoubtedly considered a "badge of honor" when Víctor Segovia, one of the Copiapó miners, was dubbed the "mine poet." He had kept a journal and sent messages to the surface of the Atacama Desert during the miners' horrendous ordeal. Víctor Zamora, another of the miners, was also identified as a poet.

from CNN: In Chile, poetry in bedrock and blood

~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment :

irishpoetry said...

I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this informative and useful read on the miner poets. I definitely savored every little bit of this and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.