Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Great Regulars: [Jonathan] Galassi's real poems,

it is tempting to say--the ones he has been digging all his life to find--are those in "Left-handed," which is more formally inventive than his early work and includes a number of poems written in quick, sharp, extremely short lines. They read like livelier, more buoyant versions of the old ones.

In an essay for his 40th college reunion class book, Mr. Galassi wrote: "I find myself in the position of writing one of those class notes I can recall being startled and disoriented by in the past. In my mid-fifties, after nearly thirty years of committed marriage, I fell in love again, this time with a younger man." The version of the story in "Left-handed" is more indirect, the way poetry often is. A poem called "Middle-aged" begins:

from Charles McGrath: The New York Times: Contradictions of the Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :