Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Poetic Obituaries: In a poem he [WWII POW Peter Allain] wrote to Mae,

he said to remember that he loved her but that every day he got a little weaker and more mixed up in the head.

"The women we married paid a fearful price too," he wrote. "They would hear the crying out in the night, and hear us screaming as our nightmares haunted us like ghosts. To many of us, it is still occurring 60 years later."

from Bradford County Telegraph: WWII POW Peter Allain dies

~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Peter Allain was my hero. He was a
compassionate, hard working man who loved his family and his life. He loved a life that was bitter cruel to him, but her overcame it
all and gave himself to his family.
I've heard him crying out and screaming in the night, and oh how I wished that there was something I could do to stop his pain. I miss you dad, now and forever. Jenny