Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Great Regulars: Liu [Xiaobo]'s wife, Liu Xia,

is currently under house arrest at the couple's Beijing home, and all of the dissident's relatives and close associates have been told that they won't be given clearance to attend.

Dozens of political and human rights activists have been held under temporary house arrest, and prevented from leaving the country for any reason since the Oct. 8 announcement.

Norway's Nobel Institute confirmed on Friday that the award ceremony would go ahead, although the physical handing of the award to the recipient was likely to be skipped.

from Luisetta Mudie: Radio Free Asia: Lawyer Slams Nobel Ban

~~~~~~~~~~~

[Govruud] Huuchinhuu had been working to rally and organize Mongols in welcoming Hada, a prominent ethnic Mongolian political prisoner who is expected to be freed on Dec. 10 after completing a 15-year jail term for subversion.

"I asked them if they had a warrant to arrest me and they said they didn't," Huuchinhuu said in a recent interview.

"I asked them to go into an Internet cafe so I could inform my friends and relatives about what had happened to me, otherwise they would be very worried at my sudden disappearance. They wouldn't let me go."

from Luisetta Mudie: Radio Free Asia: Author Under House Arrest

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :