Tuesday, April 25, 2006

April 25th forum announcement

Dear Poetry Fans,

Poetry & Poets in Rags

You'll find two poems by IBPCommunity laureate JB Mulligan in our Great Regulars section this week. I workshop and converse with him on one of the private boards now, but knew him, his fine insights and poetry, from sharing Poets.org for a couple years, and then The Atlantic's Writers Workshop. You'll find his poems in Cafe Oleh's column in The Jersusalem Post.

There's this odd theme that arose in several of the articles in News at Eleven. It has to do with either dying or cancellation and then coming back to life, something I've experienced. It's in our headliner, and our Back Page stories this week, for instance, but you'll notice it elsewhere too.

We have an addition to our Great Regulars section and a cancellation. Edmonton Journal enters with "The Poetry Project" as The Monroe Times's "Poets Corner" exits.

Also, the Poetry & Poets in Rags Blogspot is up and now (correctly) set to accept comments. So if you read an article, and would like to see how the conversation is going, or have something to say, please come by. It should become a center where inter-forum poets can exchange thoughts, but also where writers and others from the news world and elsewhere will come and join the mix as well. It's all good.

Yours,
Rus

Our links:

IBPC: Poetry & Poets in Rags

Poetry & Poets in Rags Blogspot

IBPC Home

IBPC Newswire

~~~~~~~~~~~

7 comments :

Squamish Writers Group said...

Whoo hooo! Congratulations on the new blog. I am thrilled - because I know this will be an excellent, informative, interesting, newsworthy and entertaining resource.

Thanks Rus!

Jude Goodwin

Rus Bowden said...

Hi Jude,

Thanks very much.

By the way, get pencil ready. I'm thinking any moment now, a new poetry workshop from The Guardian.

Yours,
Rus

Anonymous said...

Rus,
Glad you mentioned The Guardian workshop. Hadn't yet gotten a chance to check out this past month's selections. I was drawn to Headed for Home with a Hopeless Prognosis by Patricia Wallace Jones. I found the view not unlike that from Aunt Jackie's car. She was admiring the bluebells of Texas.

Micky

Rus Bowden said...

Hi Mic,

If you're ever over at The Critical Poet, you'll bump into Pat Jones (Padrigia).

You mention our Aunt Jackie, and of course, the latest news is that she has Lou Gehrig's Disease. You and she would both know about that, both being nurses. I need to look into it further.

I was thinking recently how I have never been to Mexico, never being to Austin. Yet, I could have used my trips to Carla's when she was in Chino Hills CA, as a jumping off point.

As you know, I've been as far south as New Orleans a couple years back before Katrina, (and had a chance to read in the 17 Poets! venue at The Gold Mine Saloon). These things are crossing my mind, because I've never been to another country besides US and Canada, and will be going to Oslo, then up to Lofoten. I haven't shared this with you, but here's where the other poets and I will be staying once in the Arctic Circle: Feskarbrygga.

Rus

Anonymous said...

Rus,
Actually I have seen this picture of Feskarbrygga before. You must have been speaking out loud somewhere and I overheard. Beautiful place. I expect it will be inspiring all.

Mic

Carl Bryant said...

I've always wanted to visit the far north.

I look forward to doing so through the great poems bound to come out of this trip.

Have fun, and bring a pen!

Rus Bowden said...

Hi Mick,

I forgot to mention, that you too write poetry, and can be found posting at Frugal Poet Writers' Workshoppe.

By the way, in your poem Duplex, which I linked to at your name above, you have:

Through walls I hear
the shower door close


How about just one wall separating, "Through the wall I hear/"? And then you could go with "his shower door" maybe?

Cool poem.

Yours,
Rus

~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Carl,

When the poets gathered on North Captiva Island in 2000, I brought hundreds for a dozen people. I had them imprinted from Pens.com.

We got a lot of poetry written there and afterward. The thing is, we tend to get into socializing, seeing the sites, and drinking wine--taking it and each other in big time. This is the same group I went on the excursion to New Orleans with, mentioned above. Maybe I'll get some pens again.

We'll be in Lofoten the second week of August for about four days. The last day of the sun staying up is July 17. So, it will dip into the horizon, and swing back up to rise, which is something I'm very much looking forward to. I wonder if it will make for an extended twilight, a gloaming night.

Yours,
Rus