Tuesday, January 15, 2008

News at Eleven: Yet [Hershel] Parker shows convincingly

that [Herman] Melville was immersed in thinking about poetry, aesthetics and the lives of poets. Perhaps more important, he reveals that if Melville wanted to engage the loftiest or the deepest matters, then poetry, meaning verse, was the appropriate cultural form in which it should be done. His first published book of poems was "Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War," the title suggestive of art, music and, grimly, other kinds of fragments.

from Los Angeles Times: The great American author didn't write poetry by accident, Parker argues, but entirely by plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~

2 comments :

Hershel Parker said...

Rus, my MELVILLE BIOGRAPHY: AN INSIDE NARRATIVE is in pdf now. Are you interested in reviewing it? In this book I lament the decline of print media reviewing and celebrate the best of the litblog reviewing as a very hopeful sign.

Rus Bowden said...

Hi Hershel,

Great to see you here.

I wish I had more time. I am writing very little.

Here's a counter offer for you. I keep a blog that gets a lot of hits for its content, but I have not been able to post at. It has morphed anyway into a forum for guest posters, and you are welcome.

The blog is called Clattery Machinery on Poetry. If you check out type of posts, I like the ones that make noise, make people think differently. If you notice too, I like to weave the companion photos in with the essays.

Either way, thanks for asking. My e-mail is lowelldude (at) aol (dot) com.