Tuesday, September 09, 2008

September 9th forum announcement

Dear Poetry Aficionados,

Poetry & Poets in Rags


We begin this week with a poem by Carol Ann Duffy being removed from the secondary school syllabus in the UK for being too violent. It sounds to me like they don't trust the teachers. But, then again, why would we think an exam board called the General Certificate of Secondary Education would? Wouldn't it be better if the teachers as an organization set the rules and guidelines for the GCSE?

We have a very interesting News at Eleven, and I think you'll agree. Many of the stories qualified in their singularities to be our Back Page item. I went with the one on Ted Kooser's book "The Blizzard Voices" being used as a basis for an "Opera Omaha oratorio". Everything about this story seemed to have a unique angle to it.

On Saturday morning, I leave Massachusetts for the rest of the month. I'll be going to a poetry summit of poet friends in The Keys, and then back north to the Dodge Poetry Festival. Here's a post I made for the occasion: Babilu: Florida or Bust. Important here is that, even though I intend to have a new Poetry & Poets in Rags for each Tuesday, I cannot promise this for the next three weeks. Two years ago, when the poets summit was in Norway, I skipped a week, and then put out a blockbuster issue. We'll see.




Thanks for passing through.

Yours,
Rus

Our links:

IBPC: Poetry & Poets in Rags

Poetry & Poets in Rags blog

IBPC Home

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :