Tuesday, August 17, 2010

News at Eleven: [Maureen McLane]: In my experience you write best

with your whole person, self-forgettingly, so that part of mind which is "critical" is most likely not dormant when I'm writing poetry, nor is the "poetic faculty" asleep if I'm drafting a "critical essay". I'm uncomfortable with a notion (especially prevalent in American discourse) that there is a kind of division of labour, the critical eye being part of the intellectual zone, the poetic eye something else--emotional, lyrical, sensual, etc, but not a thinking eye. I'm very keen on the possibility of undissociated sensibilities. If I make distinctions among modes of writing, they are probably based more on genre or occasion.

from The Economist: The Q&A: Maureen McLane, poet

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :