Tuesday, November 25, 2008

News at Eleven: "When you have a limited vocabulary and

limited space, you explore all the areas, all the little corners that you think that something might go into. Every day I learn new words, and discover them like new land.

"My mother tongue is so inside. It would be painful for me to try to distance myself from my mother tongue. It is too comfortable. The question I ask is, 'In which language do you sigh?' The language that you do that in is your mother tongue. I sigh in Persian, but I think in English. That's a very significant factor in mastering a language. And the next level is, you dream in that language." [--Maryam Ala Amjadi]

from Pavland News: Iranian poet Maryam Ala Amjadi embraces the adventure of writing in English

~~~~~~~~~~~

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

have you ever read anything by Maryam Ala Amjadi? She is so unusual in her language.it never strikes you that English is her second language.

Rus Bowden said...

I had read her poetry before posting the entry. Here's some, by the way. Thanks for the reminder.

Yours,
Rus

Anonymous said...

Ms Maryam
do you consider yourself a postmodern poet???

Anonymous said...

i like her poetry, fresh.