Tuesday, July 27, 2010

News at Eleven: "I'm fascinated by gardens.

I think gardening is one of the oldest, maybe the oldest art," he [W.S. Merwin] tells me. "In my lifetime at least I watched something completely reverse itself." The garden used to be "a little enclave", keeping wilderness at bay. "The moment human beings became able to destroy life anywhere on earth, it absolutely at that moment changes around," says Merwin. "The garden becomes a place where you keep out human enterprise and you try to preserve something resembling the natural world. And that's a complete turnaround, and it happened immediately." One consequence is that "every conservationist, every environmentalist, is really a gardener".

from The National: Gardening notes: America's new poet laureate, W.S. Merwin
also The Daily Princetonian: 'Prince' Q&A with poet laureate Merwin '48

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :