Tuesday, August 24, 2010

News at Eleven: On finding out her [Natasha Trethewey's] brother [Joe]

had been arrested

"It happened in the spring of 2007, but he didn't tell me about it then. He didn't tell me about it because that was the moment when happy things were going on in my life and he didn't want to ruin that. . . . He didn't tell me until a year later when he was about to go to trial, and his lawyer told him that if he didn't call me and ask me to come down there and to speak on his behalf, then he might be in jail a very long time. I didn't let him know that I was upset [but when] I flew back the next day, and my husband picked me up at the airport . . . I just started sobbing. And I asked him how I was going to live if my heart was in prison."

from NPR: Mississippi Meditation: A Poet Looks 'Beyond Katrina'

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :