Tuesday, February 09, 2010

News at Eleven: Here in Afghanistan, [Wilfred] Owen's

impersonal gas attacks are the Improvised Explosive Devices that kill and maim indiscriminately military or civilian, Afghan or coalition, man, women or child. They are brutal and impersonal in their employment, detonation, and aftermath. They exclude any concept of battle, especially any sort of face-to-face battle, between or among potential heroes. They do not present the opportunity for courage. At best, the IED as a weapon is a physical manifestation of grossest cowardice, isn't it? [--Lt. Col. Edward Ledford to Carol Muske-Dukes]

from The Huffington Post: Soldier to Poet (Part II)

~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment :

I am Paul said...

Being a pacifist I detest all forms of violence, whatever its form, cause, "legality" "justness" Whatever. However I am also a realist: war happens. No amount of bleating from me is going to change that. That said, one of the things I hate beyond reason is the use of cowardly tactics. IUDs like the bombing of cities during other wars by every side, is evil. Australians have a term and it's gutless. Sums it up for me.