Tuesday, May 29, 2012

News at Eleven: "[Gascoyne] was the first to write about surrealism,

and I read his work very closely through the early 1960s. He had drunk deep at the well of surrealism, and he knew a lot of them in Paris who were involved in the movement. So I suppose it just enters the bloodstream, but when I hear people talking about me as a surrealist, I am very circumspect. There is a danger of a poem being too clever, cerebral, and mechanical.

"These absurd arrangements of events can be really dangerous, because, for me, poetry must come from what Keats called 'The holiness of the hearts affections' or the 'emotional recollected in tranquillity' as Wordsworth put it," he [Paul Durcan] adds.

from The Spectator: Interview: Paul Durcan on poetry and art

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :