Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Great Regulars: When friends' infant daughter, Natalie Joy Hertel-Voisine,

died suddenly, I knew that a child's death is beyond words. I wished I were a painter or a composer when, in response to my "Let me know what I can do," my devastated friends immediately responded, "Write a poem."

I knew that for her elegy to mean anything to them, it would have to speak to the powerful physicality of a parent's relationship with a young child and, in particular, the goofy, sweet physicality of Natalie's own spirit.

I thought of the extraordinary notes by Stéphane Mallarmé that make up "A Tomb for Anatole," which Paul Auster had assembled and translated. Mallarmé's son Anatole, sickly throughout his brief life, died at 8 years old, and the fragments Auster assembled were discontinuous and truncated notes toward a text the French poet had never written.

from The Washington Post: Poet's Choice: Susan Wheeler on 'Song for the Spirit of Natalie Going'

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :