Tuesday, August 25, 2009

News at Eleven: Besides being horrified,

all [Caryn] Mirriam-Goldberg could think about was the awful timing: Wasn't she just 42, surely too young for this by a decade or two, in the midst of everything she loved? Writing. Encouraging others to write. Agitating. Organizing. Being mom. Being wife.

Of course I know that breasts are just a body part, not a gender identity, but there's something about losing this part of me, this part I would hold gently on cold nights as I slept to keep them warm. This part, round and lovely, traveling effortlessly with me, quiet mourning doves sleeping soundly on my chest.

Needless to say, Mirriam-Goldberg kept a journal during treatment. She called it "Chemopause."

from Kansas City Star: Promoting writing is goal of Kansas poet laureate

~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I empathize with you completely. It's more than a body part, however. I nursed all of my children. There is something so very... endearing, gentle, loving, the maternal made material. To loose that symbol of all they Mean, oh, such agony. My heart goes out to all those who have lost that, as my own grow weary with age.