Tuesday, February 21, 2012

News at Eleven: Speaking of which, I just now re-read

"Confessions of a L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E Poet" and my immediate reaction is that it's kind of mean. But I still think it's funny. At the time, I was writing a lot of lists&--probably too many--because I was having a hard time finding my way into a poem. This particular piece started out as an indictment of L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E poetry and its fluttery spawn: poetry as defense mechanism, poetry as empty calories ladled out by word morticians and pretenders to oppression. I felt (and still feel) clarity and unhinged passion being crowded out of American poetry. So I imagined a poet who wrote sanctioned nonsense and said to myself, "Let's make him confess?"

from The Brooklyn Rail: Interview with Poet Jerry Williams "Gamblin' Man"

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :