Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Great Regulars: W.S. Di Piero: Sure, but you know,

when I think about what really matters, it's not looking at art that has made the most difference or has been most shaping of the poetry; it's simply living as completely in the world as a politically alert creature, as someone who is both stuck in and also trying to view the historical moment.

from Jeffrey Brown: PBS: Newshour: Conversation: W.S. Di Piero, Winner of the 2012 Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize

~~~~~~~~~~~

And I said, I have never met the man. I do not know who he is. I don't have any feeling toward him. And as far as I'm concerned, he is just another bureaucrat.

That was the wrong thing to say. That kept me as assistant professor, rather than associate professor, for another five years. [--Philip Levine]

from Jeffrey Brown: PBS: Newshour: U.S., U.K. Poets Laureate on Being Public Face for 'Solitary Act'

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :