Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Great Regulars: I've lost more sleep over this opera

than any film I've ever done because I know I am entering unknown territory.

He [Terry Gilliam] speaks happily of that time, but he also says: "I had a different gene from the rest of my family." He did strange drawings, in which vacuum cleaners became creatures from Mars, and he read lots of books. He derived, he says, his sense of the fantastical as much from the stories in the Bible as from anything else. "When you read, you have to imagine, and it strikes me that's the best thing. Watching television is deadly."

He first came to Britain while hitching around Europe in 1963. That time he went home; the next time, in 1967, he didn't. England was his imaginative homeland.

from Bryan Appleyard: from The Sunday Times: Terry Gilliam

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :