Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Poetic Obituaries: Peter Lieberson was honored many times

in his career, including the University of Louisville's Grawemeyer Award in Music Composition for Neruda Songs, his setting of Pablo Neruda's sonnets, which he wrote for his late wife, Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, before her untimely passing in 2006. The mezzo-soprano was posthumously awarded the Grammy Award for the Nonesuch recording of the piece with James Levine and the Boston Symphony Orchestra in 2007.

"I discovered the love poems of Pablo Neruda by chance in the Albuquerque airport," the composer said. "The book had a pink cover and drew me in. As I glanced through the poems I immediately thought that I must set some of these for Lorraine . . . I am so grateful for Neruda's beautiful poetry, for although these poems were written to another, when I set them I was speaking directly to my own beloved, Lorraine."

from Nonesuch Records: Composer Peter Lieberson Dies at 64

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :