Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Great Regulars: Well, I think this is a political book

and I am a political person, but I've never been inclined or interested in perpetuating this dynastic system. Because the one thing, to my mind, that dynasty does above all else, is it negates participation. We've had 60 years of dynasty ruling in Pakistan--okay, 30 years, let's say, of intensive dynasty. And we know that it doesn't strengthen democratic institutions. It doesn't strengthen political participation and it doesn't foster any kind of inclusivity in the system; it does the opposite of all three. The only thing that I can do then is to refuse to further it, to perpetuate it. I am political in my writing and always have been, and I am politically active. But I am not affiliated with any party. What I think is interesting is the wonderful community organizations or parties that work on a local body level. Those I would be interested in supporting.

from Fatima Bhutto: The Brooklyn Rail: Songs of Corruption: Christian Parenti with Fatima Bhutto

~~~~~~~~~~~

"In history, whoever fights the corruption of the state, whoever raises his voice against forced unemployment and abuses of power, whoever fights awam ki huqooq ki jang, the war to defend the peoples rights, they call them terrorists. But today in Pakistan, it is the state that is drinking the blood of its citizens. The government People's Party is not your party. It is kamzor, weak, begharat, without decency or dignity. This is your party, we are the party of quaid-e-awam, the leader of the people, Shaheed Zulfikar Ali Bhutto's party, so don't try to frighten us." Papa [Murtaza Bhutto] shook his hand forcefully in the air.

from Fatima Bhutto: The Daily Beast: My Father's Assassination

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :