Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Great Regulars: The attempt to be a pastry chef was

equally ill-fated. He [Wolfgang Puck] walked into the kitchen, treading on giant sheets of pastry that had been left on the floor while the staff looked on in horror--"I didn't get the job."

Happily, at some point the Puck luck changed. Aged around seventeen, he saw how they cooked in a French restaurant and realised where his future lay.

"I saw how they were cooking--coq au vin, boeuf bourguignon with bottles of red wine to make the sauce. I wasn't really fond of those tastes, I'd still rather gave houlash, but I decided I wanted to go to France and learn how to make pates and all that stuff."

He wrote letters to restaurants all over France and, finally, headed for a job in Dijon.

from Bryan Appleyard: from The Sunday Times: Wolfgang Puck

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :