Tuesday, June 22, 2010

News at Eleven: Quick to spot others' talents, [Anthony] Thwaite

put Ted Hughes on the radio and was the first outside Belfast to publish Seamus Heaney. Introduced by Kingsley Amis to the undergraduate Martin--"very shy boy"--he invited young Amis to submit something to the New Statesman. "He sent a curiously academic essay on something like Tennyson. Not right for us. If I'd spotted him as a bright fellow I could have got him straight away, as I did with James Fenton." Fenton approached Thwaite when he read to the Oxford Poetry Society. "We crept away and had a drink together, got on terribly well, and I published a poem of his, gave him fiction to review and, when he graduated, made him my assistant."

from The Times: On Philip Larkin's tender love letters

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :