Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Great Regulars: And then with Hamlet, I remember

a guy friend was talking about it and I just said "Oh, Hamlet, I really want to re-read that." So there was something kind of bumbling and random about it. At one point I did think to myself, I need to study grief because I'm writing a book about it.'But I found that when I tried to read specific things and put them into the book, it didn't really work; it felt off. I realized that if this was going to be the book I wanted it to be, it had to be a really organic record of my grieving. I had to forget that I was writing a book and I had to just transmit the experience I was actually having, what I was actually interested in, not what I thought I should be reading.

from Meghan O'Rourke: Irish Central: Meghan O'Rourke on Writing Through Grief

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :