Tuesday, July 12, 2011

News at Eleven: The latest high-profile artist to rue

his decision to travel to Britain is the Russian writer Alex Galper. A fortnight ago the acclaimed poet, who studied under Allen Ginsberg in New York, came to Britain on his American passport to give a poetry recital. But he was refused entry at Luton airport and is threatened with a 10-year ban.

"I said to them, 'I don't have to tell you what I am doing. I am an American citizen.' But they put me in the deportation room," said Galper this weekend from New York. His case has fuelled efforts by the anti-censorship pressure group English PEN--together with the London Mayor's office--to call on the government to scrap the approach currently adopted by the UK Border Agency.

from The Guardian: Overseas artists boycott Britain in protest at visa clampdown

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :