Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Poetic Obituaries: In 1968, [George] Kimball authored a poem

that appeared in The Paris Review. Thereafter, he published several volumes of poetry. "I wouldn't say that poetry was my first love," he muses. "But yeah; I guess you could say that. Eventually, though, I drifted away from poetry and found other ways to express myself."

One mode of expression was writing about sports.

In 1970, after living in New York and running unsuccessfully for Douglas County sheriff, Kimball moved to Massachusetts to pursue a career as a freelance writer. There, he reviewed music for Rolling Stone and books for Playboy. But his primary gig was writing a weekly sports column for a counterculture weekly called The Phoenix.

from The Sweet Science: George Kimball (1943-2011)

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :