Tuesday, March 16, 2010

News at Eleven: "On the morning of my stroke,

we were in Donegal, and there were a number of friends in the same guest house. I woke up with one leg paralysed. One of the sets of friends are medics and they helped us. I got taken care of very well by the services, but there was a great sense of companionship, as well as physical strength, the people who helped me down the stairs when I was on the stretcher. That sense of a human chain, of solidarities."

Further poems celebrate other human connections: love poems to Marie, poems about his late parents and his two new grand-daughters. The book includes a sequence based on Book VI of Virgil's Aeneid, about Aeneas's journey into the underworld where he meets both the shade of his father and a gathering of souls yet to be born.

from The Scotsman: Interview: Seamus Heaney, poet

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :