Tuesday, March 30, 2010

News at Eleven (Back Page): In brief, Leave Your Sleep

takes selected works from poets (including Mervyn Peake, Gerard Manley Hopkins, ee cummings, Charles Causley, Rachel Field, Robert Graves, Edward Lear, Jack Prelutsky, Arthur Macy, Ogden Nash, Charles E Carryl, Nathalia Crane, Robert Louis Stevenson and Christina Rossetti) and sets them to what amounts to a global musical reach. [Natalie] Merchant, who was in Dublin recently to play a very rare one-off intimate show in Whelan's, had the project in mind for years.

"I thought it would be a really interesting exercise, for one," she says. "For years, I've been a singer-songwriter, and I've always done covers, but I just thought it would be great doing a full album of words where I didn't have to draw out the words myself.

from The Irish Times: Childhood, through poetic eyes
also The Sunday Times: Natalie Merchant on her most ambitious project ever

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :