Tuesday, March 30, 2010

News at Eleven: But in almost any conversation

on the topic of poetry reviews, one question comes up: what's the point? This question isn't always asked with the flippant air that actually means "who cares?" Often, people really want to know: what is accomplished by poetry reviews? Do they help sell books? Do they keep the art form in line? Do they spur writers into creating better poetry or kick bad writers out of the halls of Parnassus? Do poetry reviews help readers?

I've been reviewing poetry for a number of years and I'm constantly asking myself these questions. As PW's poetry reviews editor for the past four years, I've mostly seen my job as an ambassadorial one: I want to help bookstore buyers and interested readers figure out which poetry books to stock or buy.

from Publishers Weekly: What Poetry Reviews Are For (and Up Against)

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :