Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Great Regulars: The essay was prompted, [Albert J.] Nock says,

because "I was mildly astonished to hear the other day that a person very much in the public eye, and one who would seem likely to know something of what I have been up to during all these years, had described me as 'one of the most intelligent conservatives in the country.'"

The reason for Nock's astonishment was that "for more than a quarter of a century I have been known, in so far as I was known at all, as a radical." When called upon "to label myself with reference to particular social theories or doctrines," he had described himself as "an anarchist, an individualist, and a single taxer."

from Frank Wilson: When Falls the Coliseum: That's What He Said: Political labels are invariably misleading

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :