Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Great Regulars: Let me tell you about the Islam I know.

Tibet has had an Islamic community for around 400 years, although my richest contacts with Islam have been in India, which has the world's second-largest Muslim population. An imam in Ladakh once told me that a true Muslim should love and respect all of Allah's creatures. And in my understanding, Islam enshrines compassion as a core spiritual principle, reflected in the very name of God, the "Compassionate and Merciful," that appears at the beginning of virtually each chapter of the Koran.

Finding common ground among faiths can help us bridge needless divides at a time when unified action is more crucial than ever. As a species, we must embrace the oneness of humanity as we face global issues like pandemics, economic crises and ecological disaster.

from Tenzin Gyatso: The Office of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama: Many Faiths, One Truth

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :