Tuesday, April 16, 2013

News at Eleven: Sharon Olds, who lives and writes much

of the time in a house overlooking a Pittsfield pond, won the 2013 Pulitzer Prize in poetry yesterday. The winning book is Stag's Leap, a collection of poems about the breakup of her marriage more than a decade ago.

"This is something I thought would never happen in my life," Olds said in a telephone interview after the prize was announced. She recalled that when she began publishing poetry collections 33 years ago, "a lot of people despised my work, and they let me know it. All I wanted then was what all poets want: to write our poems and see what happens, or doesn't."

from The Concord Monitor: Pittsfield poet Sharon Olds wins Pulitzer Prize for collection about divorce
then PBS Newshour: 'The Orphan Master's Son,' 'Stag's Leap' Among 2013 Pulitzer Prize Winners
then The Concord Monitor: An interview with Sharon Olds, Pittsfield's Pulitzer-winning poet

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :