Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Great Regulars: "I haven't been sending out my human

rights newsletter," said Qin [Yongmin], a veteran pro-democracy campaigner and political dissident based in the central city of Wuhan.

"I haven't sent it out since they called me in to talk to them on April 15," Qin said in an interview on Wednesday.

"They said they would cut off my hands and sew up my mouth, and that I wouldn't live long [if I carried on doing it]."

Qin said his computer had lately become infected by a trojan-style virus, rendering it nearly impossible to use.

from Luisetta Mudie: Radio Free Asia: Rights Activist Threatened

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They said they would give me 300 yuan/month subsistence payment and 300 yuan/month to live on, a total of 600 yuan/month (U.S. $92)," Guo [Qizhen] said in a recent interview.

"They are using this as a method of revenge; they want you to get to the point where you can barely stay alive," he said.

"I don't have a job; my wife lost her job as well, and we aren't even receiving basic social welfare payments."

Guo was arrested on May 12, 2006 and charged with "inciting subversion of state power" for 34 articles he published on overseas websites attacking the leadership of China's ruling Communist Party.

from Luisetta Mudie: Radio Free Asia: Writer Protests Persecution

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :